1. For readers who may not know much about you guys, can you tell us a bit about yourselves and your music?
Yeah, thanks for having us! Polaris Rose is a duo that include Madelynn Elyse and myself (Peter Anthony). We started this project back in 2013. We wanted to write rock music that was emotional and aggressive, without being heavy metal. We use a lot of strange chords and we sing as a duet a lot. We are in the middle of a 6-album cycle. Our new record, “Ocean Blue, Velvet Skies” is part 2 of that cycle.
2. What was your inspiration behind ‘Ocean Blue, Velvet Skies’?
Well, we released our first LP ‘Telescopes’ in 2014… and we got a really positive response. We dove back into the studio and began tracking demos for our 2nd LP (‘Ocean Blue, Velvet Skies’). The record takes a lot of the themes from ‘Telescopes’ and develops them further. In a artsy way, we wanted the new record to sound like a sunset. As we progress with our albums, they are going to continually grow darker. So we knew that ‘Ocean Blue, Velvet Skies’ would still have a light, beachy vibe, but it needed to thematically grow darker than the previous record.
3. Do you have a favourite song from the new album?
Our favorite is ‘Stars & Stripes’. We like the bridge a lot and the energy of it.
4. At what point of your lives did you realise you wanted to create and perform music?
It was when we were both kids. For me, it was hearing “Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness” by the Smashing Pumpkins. For Maddie, it was seeing Heart in concert.
5. From your experiences in the music industry so far, do you think it’s more or less difficult to gain recognition as a duo than as a solo artist or larger group?
Hmmm, good question. Sometimes we feel like being in a duo is a detriment, simply because there are so many of them. But – operationally speaking – keeping the decision-making process down to just the two of us works best. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that the configuration of your group doesn’t give you much of a leg-up. What matters most is that you are able to connect with people and share something of value with them.
6. What has been the highlight of your careers so far?
The production of ‘Ocean Blue, Velvet Skies’ was an amazing experience. We enlisted John Spiker to mix for us and he really took these songs to a new place. Then, having Eric Boulanger help us master the record at the Bakery was phenomenal.
To listen to their new single Tell Me All Your Secrets click here
Check out their official video for Tigerbait
For more info on the duo, check out their website