Signed at the ripe old age of fifteen, emotional soul/pop singer Omar Alhindi released his debut album Bedhead Part 1 at the end of last month. He was kind enough to answer a few of my questions earlier this week about his music, life and the new album.
1. For readers who aren’t familiar with your music, can you tell us about your sound and influences?
My music on this album kind of reminds me of Ne-Yo, it has a heartfelt R&B sound with a pop influence. It’s a sonically relaxing vibe.
2. Your new single My Intentions is out now, what was the inspiration behind the track?
I had tried moving on with my ex after a year of being broken up, and the girl I was with had an idea of me and her being together till we were old and had kids and grandkids and that scared me. I realized I wasn’t ready to move on yet, with my ex on my mind, and I was definitely not ready to grow old.
3. I noticed on your Facebook page that you are donating proceeds from the album to the American Cancer Society, what drove you to do such a charitable act?
My grandma passed away from cancer in 2008 and ever since then I’ve wanted to help find a cure for cancer. My grandma was a huge part of my life, and she means the world to me, I would’ve done anything to keep her healthy and strong.
4. Speaking of your album, Bedhead Part 1 was released on the 29th of October, what has the response been from fans?
It’s been a good response! They’ve told me that it helps them through their hard times and that when they listen to my music, they feel like they can relate to my stories. It makes me happy knowing that my fans enjoy the music, I don’t want to put out material that has no impact.
5. Finally, do you have any upcoming gigs or tours planned that you could tell us about?
I know forsure that I have a show on Dec 4th in Los Angeles at The Mint! If you guys come out I’ll be performing songs off the album, the next album, and a separate project as well as some covers. I hope to see you there! The link to get tickets is in my Twitter and Instagram bios! @WEWANTOMAR 🙂
To hear his new single My Intentions check out his Soundcloud